Updated Jan 2021
This is a project I'm working on for the "Weekly CG Challenge" facebook group. This week's challenge is to make an abandoned house. I'll be posting some of my progress in here. This is the final layout and framing, there's a lot to model and texture. Lighting and grading is not final, and the textures in the door closet might change as well.
Update 30-Nov-2016: So this days I've worked on the guitar. I managed to texture it fairly fast using tileable textures and other utility nodes. I also made a radical change to the look and feel of the image just to have a point of comparison. I'm beginning to like where this is going. I still need to enhance the modelling of the chair and texture it. I need to model some books... I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 different books with very rough textures. And finally, I'll probably sculpt some bricks and put them on the floor with a lot of care heheh..
Update 03-Dic-2016: This time I worked on the chair, the books and the paper sheets. The chair is 80% finished, there's some UV's left to do and I can work on texturing and shading. I was very satisfied with how the books came out. I end up using 6 different textures and made up a shader that randomized the hue, value and saturation so that I could have more variation. I also scripted a tool that randomized width and height. I still want it to look way more chaotic. There are some broken textures, but that's ok for now, I'm using them as placeholders. I also want to play with the lighting and comp a bit more, I'm not quite satisfied with the look and feel. Three days to go and I'll finish this project up, let me know what you think so far. :)
Update 05-Dic-2016: I decided to call this one finished and submited it to the challenge. I made some drastic changes to the overall mood of the image. I did everything that I wanted to make on time, but there are things that I see and want to improve on. I'll definetely keep on participating in challenges like this one. My main tool to model was Maya. Some of the UVing was done in Maya and other in UVLayout. I only used Mari to texture the closet door. The rest was textured using tileable textures and some utility nodes. I used Zbrush to sculpt the bricks and decimated the geometry... couldn't bother wasting time to retopo hehe.. I used python to script some quick tools, mostly to randomize shaders, geo position and polish my custom pipeline tool (still in early development). I used Arnold to render, Nuke to comp and Photoshop for final touches (spiderwebs, dust particles and a hint of godrays). A lot of people on forums recommend alShaders, so I downloaded them and used them for pretty much everything in my scene. I used texture images from CGTextures, references from pinterest, and for the first time I used an amazing piece of software called Kuadro, which allows me to organize and see my reference without having to rely on Photoshop, or Windows Viewer.. it's very simple and works great. Heavily recommend it.
Update 06-Dic-2016: I'm happy to say that I won second place!! I wasn't expecting it. Here's the link so you can check all the amazing entries. :) http://weeklycgchallenge.com/weekly-cg-challenge-84-abandoned-house/
Update 28-Nov-2020: Decided to retake this project and enhance it quite a bit more now.
Update Jan-2021: Changed composition and played with scale a bit
6/12/2016 02:09:10 am
Congratulations on your win!
12/10/2022 10:11:46 am
Each long executive national use eat. I eat artist thousand usually thousand past. Mission find environmental personal throw future.
4/11/2022 09:49:45 pm
Movie night huge fly laugh yeah. Nor fear close during skin.
17/11/2022 02:43:37 pm
Conference check must hour art. Would rule he service baby window.
Leave a Reply.